For about half the trip from Baltimore to Milwaukee I had a strong whiff of gasoline in the car caused by bad gasketing of the fuel tank sender. The guys in Dayton kindly made a temporary fix but once I got home it was time to make a proper cork gasket with some material purchased at Autozone.
It’s also time to renew all fluids. Being new to the car and not knowing for certain how long they’ve been in, it’s out with the old in with the new. The oil appeared fresh when we picked up the car in Berlin and it’s been driven around 1,600 miles at this point so I’m probably OK for a few more miles but it’s cheap insurance. BMW called for a 4,000 mile oil change interval in summer or 2,000 during transition months, winter or with short trips.
I placed an order of common maintenance parts through Walloth and Nesch at http://www.wallothnesch.com, German purveyors of parts for classic BMWs. Their prices, even taking shipping into account and the Euro exchange, were better than the BMW prices, even withe BMWCCA 10% discount my dealer provides.
This car has a canister and cartridge oil filtration system where only the insert gets replaced. There is a fiber seal (asbestos in the old days) that seals where the canister lip sits in a grove on the flange, a fat O-ring on top of the cartridge and a rubber insert that sits below the filter and on top of a spring that provides calibrated pressure for the filter to seal against the top which in an overpressure situation (dirty filter) would allow oil to circulate around and bypass the filter. The fiber seal should be replaced every oil change and the I also replaced the other two rubber parts although they didn’t look to be in bad shape.
Upon removing the oil drain plug, I inspected the magnetic tip and it showed some ‘fuzz’ but nothing serious. I’ll have to keep an eye on that in the future and also check compression and leak down of the engine to assess if this might be from abnormal wear but it doesn’t seem to me like it is.
The canister and cartridge came off easily but trying to remove the old fiber seal from the flange was very difficult with the oil filter flange on the engine so out came the flange off the engine block. Not bad but I had to manufacture a new gasket for the flange-block interface as the old one was toast upon removal of the flange. Not difficult at all with some cardboard-like gasket material from AZ. Par for the course with classic car ownership.
After tightening the canister in place to what felt ‘pretty tight” I had a slow leak at the canister/flange junction. I tightened more a couple of times and it would still leak so I pulled out the torque wrench to make sure I wasn’t applying a crazy amount of force. I went up in force a couple more times until it finally was dry at 30 Lb. Ft. of torque. Not too much but more than I would have thought.
Pretty satisfying stuff… But again, simple minds are simply entertained.
This blog sometimes feels like a pretty lonely pursuit; I know that many of you out there are reading it since I see the number of daily hits but I’m getting no comments so feel free to crank it up a little bit and post comments once in a while to spice it up a bit…!